Monday, March 25, 2013

Pesach 2013

On Pesach we celebrate our Exodus from Egypt.  Not just the Jewish people’s Exodus, but our personal Exodus.  In all aspects of life, Judaism calls upon us to put ourselves in the situation of our ancestors, our predecessors, our friends and family.  We try to empathize with others and respond to them with a feeling of as if we too stood in their shoes. But particularly on Pesach, the quest to place oneself in the shoes of one of Judaism’s earliest generations seems especially great.  The four sons we read of in the Pesach Haggadah all ask a question – to the last three, we respond in the first person: It is for the sake of this that Hashem did for me when I left Egypt….with a strong hand Hashem took me out of Egypt…and again, It is for the sake of this that Hashem did for me when I left Egypt (the response to the second and third questions is the same).  Not the Israelites in Egypt, not my ancestors…me.  I was the one God took out “with a strong hand and an outstretched hand.”
 
Towards the beginning of the Torah, God selects Avraham for a unique mission, saying:

“Go for yourself from your land, from your relatives, and from your father’s house to the land that I will show you.  And I will make of you a great nation, and make your name great, and you shall be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and him who curses you I will curse; and all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you.”  - Bereishit 12:1-5

God made this call directly to Avraham, but the Israelites in Egypt harkened to this same call during the Exodus.  The Jewish people were formed at Mt Sinai as a result of the story revealed in the Haggadah; Israel became a nation, the Jewish people began to reshape the history of mankind for the better, and like Avraham, to become a great name and to be a blessing. 

At the end of the Torah, Moses calls upon the Jewish people:

“I call heaven and earth to bear witness against you; I have placed life and death before you, blessing and curse.  And you shall choose life, so that you will live, you and your offspring.” – Devarim 30:19

Avraham had the choice of life and death, blessing and curse.  Would he live the life of his father, a life of idolatry and anger and lack of compassion?  Or would he leave that life to follow God and do chesed to everyone he encountered, to teach us to respect everyone and open our homes to the needy and the weary?  Avraham chose a life of blessing.  In Egypt, the Jewish slaves were given the choice of life and death, blessing and curse.  Would they remain enslaved and less-than-human, unable to have children and raise families?  Or would they follow God, raise the next generation, cross the Red Sea, stand at Mt Sinai and become the Jewish people?  The Jewish people, led by Moses and Miriam and Aaron, chose a life of blessing.  

In our own lives we have the same choice: life and death, blessing and curse, are placed before us all.  Will I become angry at an annoying question or rude person, or will I be patient and composed?  Will I gossip about my co-workers or will I remain silent?  Will I welcome the new neighbor or will I ignore their presence?  Will I spare some change for the poor man on the street or will I walk by him and ignore his existence?  Since I began wearing a kippah, I have been approached by many non-Jews who have told me stories of their interactions with other observant Jews; they felt a sense of fondness for me without even knowing me because of the positive imprint on their lives made by a fellow religious Jew.  This is what it means to be a light unto the nations.  This is what it means to choose life, to choose blessing.  We all have this choice every day, with every interaction.  

On the Seder night we view ourselves as slaves being led out of Egypt by God’s right hand.  Tomorrow, we will interact with a co-worker, or a neighbor, or a friend, or a stranger, and need to view ourselves in their shoes.  The choice of life and death, blessing and curse is a constant one.  It is not easy to always choose the correct option, it is easy to rationalize or let oneself slip at times.  But the Seder night is a good time to begin to choose a life of blessing. And so the Seder begins…

Chag Pesach Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment