Thursday, December 29, 2011

On Beit Shemesh, Values, Gender, and Violence

We always cause the problems from within.  Yes, that is true of us Jews.  We are often our own worst enemy.  But realizing this does not make it any less painful when you are in the midst of it occurring.

The violence and protests currently going on in Beit Shemesh, a religious community outside of Jerusalem, is frustrating and terrifying.  I am terrified of the violence that is going on.  And I am frustrated at the negative press towards religious Jews and, by extension, Judaism.  But mostly, I am saddened by the way my Jewish brothers, religious Jewish brothers are acting.  Violence towards Modern Orthodox elementary school girls?  Throwing stones at police for allowing women a place in the public sphere?  Setting fire in the streets to show your anger at immodest women?

Where is this in Judaism?  Where is this in Pirkei Avot?  Do the Rabbi's endorse this behavior?  The ethics and morals that Judaism introduced to the world - where are they in your actions, my Hareidi brethren?

Just a few short weeks ago we read of the Rape of Dinah in the Torah.  She was treated as a possession.  She was to be "given" as a wife for a bribe and had no say in the matter, according to Shechem and Hamor.  But her brothers stuck up for her!  Shimon and Levi in particular - a mere two men! - stood up for her and struck down those who had taken advantage of her.  Why today, when just a few of many are protesting, acting violently, mistreating and suppressing women, why today can not the many stand up against the few?  Why are the leading rabbis of these communities unable to stand up in the face of intolerance?  Why is the man next door unable to tell his neighbor what he is doing is wrong?

I think, perhaps, this is hitting home a bit harder than normal for me because of an experience my sister had this summer in Mea Shearim while visiting me in Jerusalem.  Typically, I would be one to point out the positive aspects of the Hareidi community; I would remind everyone that this group is indeed a minority; I would show how much good religious Jews have done in the world.  But, for some reason, I don't feel that way anymore.

"If I am not for myself alone, who will be?  And if I am only for myself, what am I?  And if not now, when?"

I feel, as sad as it is, that if I don't speak up, who will?  Not the rabbis at Eda Chareidit in Israel who oppose government, military, and secular-job participation of Orthodox Jews.  Not the rabbis of Agudath in America that tell abused children to consult their rabbi rather than going to the police to avoid publicity.  Unfortunately, not many yet in the communities where the violence is taking place.  And it is not just the violence against women in Beit Shemesh, but also the sexual abuse of children in Burrough Park, and the rock-throwing in Mea Shearim, and the degradation of homosexuals throughout

So here I am, for what it is worth, here to remind whoever will listen that Judaism is a religion of tolerance.  Yes there are laws and standards, yes we are obligated by the mitzvot.  But life and safety and human dignity are vital to the core of Judaism.  Without this, even a Hareidi Jew is but an empty shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment